I had to have a “Come to Jesus” talk, I’m in the South and that is what we do, with a client last week about using social media to market their business. They were voicing resistance to social media; Facebook in particular. They were telling me it is bad for society, not good for relationships, yada yada yada. Yes. They are probably right. In fact, I think they are right and have written about it. Here’s the deal though – your competitor isn’t making those kinds of excuses. They are jumping on board, in fact they jumped on board several years ago, and they are kicking ass. You? You are trying to justify the time and energy.
Here are the facts about what is happening on Facebook right now:
- As of January 2014, 74% of online adults use social networking sites and 71% of online adults use Facebook. Pew Research
- Are you curious about all of the online sites? This is a pretty comprehensive look at the billions, yes billions, of worldwide users on any given online platform.
- 53% of Facebook users are women and, in most cases, women make the buying decisions in most households.
- 16 million local business Facebook pages have been created as of May 2013 – I am SURE that number has increased greatly, and they are your competition.
- According to Mashable we are spending 6.75 hours on Facebook a day. A day. That is a lot of time.
Isn’t it time that you got over your resistance to social media – the place where everyone is marketing their business and organizations?
Social Media is Just a Tool for Business and Organizations
Facebook and social media are just marketing tools like postcards, newsletters, billboards and television ads. Your resistance to wanting to be part of the social world is fine for you personally, but your business is your livelihood and not being part of it is a mistake. (I don’t mince words with clients. I’m pretty sure I cussed them out. They pay me for that and then to write about it later here.)
I Get Your Resistance to Social Media, but You Have to Meet People Where They Are
Here’s the thing. I know you don’t like cat videos, photos of other people’s grandkids, vacation photos when you are stuck at your desk, and crazy making political posts from your uncle. I get that, but that isn’t what Facebook for business is about. It is about sharing your best possible business brand online in the place that they are – remember they are there 6.75 hours a day. A day! If you aren’t there someone else is getting their attention.
So, get over your reservations any way you can and be part of the party. Your voice is needed, your company needs to be represented online and you need to make the time. If you need help with any of those things maybe it’s time you got some help.
If Facebook isn’t your thing and you really feel that way. There is probably a social media channel that is perfect for you. You might be a Twitter all-star in the making, a photo king/queen on Instagram or drive your message home on LinkedIn. It isn’t about one platform being better than the other – it is about utilizing free marketing tools that can grow your business. Don’t miss the boat, it obviously makes me crazy angry because I want you to succeed!